Today’s city of Karlovac developed from a medieval fortress built for defense from Turkish incursions into Central Europe. It was founded on July 13, 1579. The central part of the old town is still based on the fortress remnants, shaped as a six-pointed star, once surrounded by strong walls and deep moats. From its inception, Karlovac has been one of the biggest traffic junctions in Croatia. The reason for this is primarily from its exceptionally favorable geographical position in the western part of Croatia, as well as the confluence of river valleys of Kupa, Korana, Mrežnica and Dobra. Karlovac is visited by a large number of tourists each year. They are drawn by four clean rivers and their tributaries, various possibilities for many diverse forms of recreations, hunting, fishing, numerous cultural and historical monuments, as well as a large number of localities attractive to tourists in the wider surrounding area.